Gemma Berry
Written by

Planning a social media campaign can be difficult and time consuming. Here are some ideas to make your campaigns slicker, more efficient and able to stand out in the crowd.

Getting the best out of a crowded space

Social media is a vital channel for many arts and cultural organisations looking to connect with and expand their audience. The Internet is such an all-encompassing part of modern life, so it is essential that you use this tool to your advantage. Yet the pervasive nature of social media presents a real challenge too – the more media that appears, the harder it becomes to stand out.

In this crowded social media sphere, your content must increasingly be faster, more interesting, and more relevant than everyone else’s. Why else would someone want to follow you?

We’re far from the first to point this out. Social media is an established industry now, as well as a tool in our day-to-day lives. You no doubt know that it’s a valuable way to connect with your audience.

But if you’re wondering just what content you should be posting to keep up with your audience, here are three social media strategies that should offer inspiration on how to create the content you need to fuel your social media accounts.

1. The 80-20 rule

This rule is the crux of inbound marketing. Of the total amount of posts created, 80% should be dedicated to interesting, engaging and informative content, and the remaining 20% should be promotional.

The reason for this is simple – people don’t like to be inundated with promotions and they will eventually switch off. The bulk of your online content should go towards building an engaged and loyal social media following, who should then be more receptive to your product when you do mention or promote it.

2. The rule of thirds

The rule of thirds splits your content into three equal sections.

  • The first is promotional brand material, much like the 20% in the previous example.
  • The second is designed to inform the reader about interesting or relevant things happening in your sector or industry. This is the part where you deliver interesting content that reaches people who wouldn’t normally respond to your marketing.
  • The final third isn’t touched upon in the 80-20 rule. This is about building your brand. Though related, it is independent of the first two; it’s about injecting your brand with some life and personality. This is likely to involve a lot of personal interactions with people on social media – there’s no better way to make your brand feel relevant to individuals than to talk to the individuals themselves in their own space.

3. The 70/20/10 rule

This last rule focuses on how risky you can be with your social media posts. Rather than balancing content and promotional material, this model apportions the risk you should consider when creating digital content. The guideline is to:

  • Create 70% ‘safe’ content. A lot of this will include information about your services, which should focus on getting the message across and providing essential information (like contact details and show times) without too much flashy rhetoric.
  • The 20% refers to moderately risky content. This content will have more personality and will largely consist of creative, informative content to be shared on social media platforms.
  • The final 10% of content is risky. It consists of new, exciting, and potentially nerve-wracking ideas that reach out to people in ways you’re not used to as an organisation. Some of these will float, some will sink. But those that succeed will often far out-perform any of your other posts and content.

This approach isn’t right for everyone, but if your team are seeking to play it safe every step of the way, it’s worth remembering that you can take a risk every now and again – you might just see some incredible results.

None of these rules will write your social media content for you. Only you have the drive and creativity specific to your organisation to determine exactly what you post. But we hope that in having a few rules to follow, we’ve eased your creative process, or at least given it a framework along which you can progress. If you want further advice on how best to use social media, get in touch or order a digital impact report.

Main image credit: Where’s Wally World Record (where you there?) by William Murphy (CC BY-SA 2.0) (cropped)