THIS EVENT IS NOW SOLD OUT. PLEASE ADD YOURSELF TO THE WAITING LIST.
Captions are an often overlooked but vital part of modern video production. Captions can significantly improve the experience of video content for D/deaf audiences. In addition, they are often the difference between your organisation’s video going viral online and being completely ignored.
As cultural organisations throughout Scotland continue to put more of their marketing and creative content online, it is important that this content is accessible to as many people as possible. Captions can make a profound difference to the experience of enjoying a video for members of the D/deaf community and anyone who is hard of hearing.
Captions are also an increasingly important part of everyone’s video watching experience. Adding captions to YouTube videos can increase views by 7.32% and a viewer is more likely to watch a YouTube video to completion when captions are added. 85% of all Facebook video views happen through muted autoplay. Neglecting to add captions on your videos is fast becoming a sure-fire way to lose your audience.
This practical hands-on half day workshop is part of Culture Republic’s Digital Transformation training series for the arts and cultural sector. It is designed for anyone who is responsible for producing video content, anyone who contributes to an online content strategy, or anyone who wants to improve their organisation’s accessibility.
The workshop is designed to be as accessible as possible, no matter what technology your organisation has available. As a result, we will be using popular and freely available online captioning applications, so no specialist software is required.
At this session you will:
• Learn important rules and guidelines about how captions should be displayed on videos.
• Gain knowledge of the specific notation used in the television industry and beyond to caption videos.
• Take away top tips on how to plan your video content so that captions are accommodated into your preparations.
• Learn practical and simple ways to apply captions quickly and efficiently to a different types of videos and on popular sharing platforms like YouTube and Facebook.
• Hear case studies and examples of good and bad practice in video captioning.
• Gain confidence in producing accessible video content that can be watched by everyone.
What should I bring?
• A fully charged laptop. Please note a small number of computers will be provided – please advise us of the details on sign up.
About the speaker
Jack Perry is Culture Republic’s resident in house video and mixed media producer. With a background in media production as an editor in the publishing sector and working with NFPs, Jack’s experience in video captioning has hugely influenced the accessibility and engagement with Culture Republic’s video based content.
What can I bring to the event?
Please bring your own charged electrical devices.
Where can I contact the organiser with any questions?
If you have any questions prior to the event please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
What is the refund policy?
We have a 48hr cancellation policy. If you are unable to attend the event please let us know 48hrs in advance of the event. After this time you will not be eligible for a refund.